Sustainable wood

In 2016, 98% of the wood used in VELUX products in Europe was sourced from certified, sustainable forests. That is more than three times the global percentage of round-wood from certified forests. We are now close to reaching our goal of 99% in 2020.

98% sustainable wood used in VELUX products

Policy and goals
All wood suppliers of the VELUX Group are certified according to PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification), FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) or both. No tropical hardwood is used. It is the policy of the VELUX Group to comply fully with the EU Timber Regulation at all times.

It is our goal that 99% of the wood used in VELUX products is sourced from certified, sustainable forests by 2020.

Activities
In 2015, we set the goal of maintaining the high level of certified wood in our supply chain, so that a minimum of 96% of the wood would come from certified sources in 2016.

Due to extensive efforts, we have been able to surpass that goal and reach 98% certified sustainable wood in 2016. The result has been achieved through performance meetings and continuous dialogue with key suppliers.

Regarding our own FSC and PEFC certification, we carried out 51 internal audits and 16 external audits during 2016 to make sure we comply with the standards of the two systems.

In 2016, the VELUX Group became a member of FSC Denmark and FSC International.



Performance

In 2016, we surpassed our goal and 98% of the wood was sourced from certified, sustainable forests, which is more than three times as much as the global percentage of round-wood production from certified forests. The remaining 2% is from wood defined as ‘controlled’ by the FSC.

Sources of purchased wood

The VELUX Group does not purchase wood from non-controlled sources
Percentage of wood from certified sources
Percentage of wood from controlled sources

Benchmark: Percentage of global roundwood from certified sources (FAO)

Next steps
In 2017, we will continue to work with suppliers to reach our target in 2020 of sourcing 99% of the wood for our European factories from certified, sustainable forests, and engage actively in the organisations FSC and PEFC.

Related content