Photo: Adam Mørk
Kettering, United Kingdom
|This semi-detached home in Kettering, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom is proof that energy efficient, sustainable housing can be a joy to live in – and easy and affordable to build. Known as CarbonLight Homes, these state-of-the-art buildings are the first homes designed and built to meet the UK government’s ‘zero carbon housing’ standard.
||They also achieve ‘Level 4’ of the Code for Sustainable Homes. |
CarbonLight Homes are truly a community project. Each home reduces CO2 emissions by 70 %, and the remaining 30 % of emissions are offset through local government agreements to improve the energy efficiency of other homes in the area.
The Model Home 2020 experiments comply with the Active House principles where the three main principles of energy, indoor climate and environment are actively integrated in the design of buildings. This Active House radar shows how all parameters within each principle are balanced against each other, enabling the holistic approach and overview to sustainable buildings. It also shows that the Active House parameters depend on active choices within each parameter.
See more about Active House here