Advocating daylight and fresh air in new builds and renovation
We wish to engage in dialogue with the civil society, governments and politicians to share our knowledge and experience about daylight, fresh air and energy efficiency as key enablers of better living environments at affordable prices. On international, EU and national levels, the VELUX Group advocates:
- The Active House vision and principles to achieve nZEB (nearly Zero Energy Buildings).
- Daylight in buildings as a key enabler of human health and well-being.
- Natural ventilation and ventilative cooling as key enablers of good indoor air quality.
- Affordable solutions for healthy and energy-efficient homes (new builds and renovations).
- Use of the energy balance approach that includes the effect of solar gain and dynamic building envelope in energy performance calculations of buildings. In 2017, we gained support for the energy balance approach by three key trade associations (windows, glass, solar shading) in Germany.
Specific activities in 2017 included the Clean Energy for All package, which aims to set and renew EU energy policy to reach the Paris 2015 Climate Agreement commitments. Here, buildings play a key role as they account for about 40% of the energy consumption in Europe. We have worked with partners in Brussels in order to make sure that the future Energy Performance of Buildings Directive, which has been negotiated in 2017, includes indoor climate aspects in order to ensure healthy buildings for all Europeans
Through our membership of EuroACE (European Alliance of Companies for Energy Efficiency in Buildings), we support the work to move Europe towards efficient use of energy in buildings, thereby contributing to the EU’s commitments on job creation, energy security and sustainability.