Policy and goals
We continuously work to reduce the carbon footprint of our activities through high energy efficiency and by transitioning to renewable energy sources. In order to achieve our climate and environmental objectives, we set up specific targets, which we report externally on a yearly basis.
We believe that cooperation with our suppliers, customers and partners can help us set higher standards for energy and climate, create innovative solutions and encourage sound behaviours.
We work systematically to fulﬁll our energy and climate goals through:
- Certified ISO 50001 Energy Management at all VELUX production and warehouse sites in Europe and at our headquarters in Hørsholm.
- Investing in energy efficiency projects and on-site renewable energy production (solar cells and heat generation from wood chip waste from production) at our sites, e.g.
- Commissioning a new 1.3 MW solar cell plant at our factory in Greenwood, South Carolina, USA that will save 700 tons of CO2 annually.
- Commissioning a new bio-boiler at our Polish factory NM-PL as an important initiative in the VELUX strategy to increase the amount of on-site renewable energy production. This single installation will reduce the carbon footprint of NM-PL by 2,500 tons CO2 per year, the equivalent of emissions from 600 European households.
- Extended use of an existing bio-boiler at our Polish factory NB-PL(W) giving CO2 savings of more than 5,000 tons per year by substituting gas with waste wood as fuel for heat production.
- Besides our focus on improving energy efficiency and increasing on-site renewable energy production, we have committed to gradually acquire Guarantee of Origin (GO) off-shore wind-power certificates from one of the major Danish energy companies to help fulfil our climate ambitions. The revenue from our purchase of GOs, handling fee deducted, is reinvested by Ørsted Wind Power division in new offshore wind projects.
In the period 2015-17, energy management and energy efficiency projects implemented at the European VELUX production and warehouse sites have reduced CO2 emissions by approximately 10,000 tons.
24% of the energy used at VELUX sites comes from renewable energy sources, notably on-site biomass, solar and purchase of certified renewable electricity produced at offshore wind farms. This means that our carbon footprint in 2017 compared to 2007 has been reduced by 45 041 tons, corresponding to the CO2 emissions of more than 10,000 European households.
In 2018, we will continue to implement energy savings at all production sites and warehouses. We will also increase our renewable energy production by using more waste wood from production for heat generation. Through these measures and by continuous energy optimisation, installation of new energy-efficient equipment and purchase of certified green electricity, we expect to further reduce our carbon footprint throughout 2018.