Kerosene lamps are often nothing more than a small flame ignited from a canister which makes it difficult and dangerous to share the light when doing household chores and family activities in the evening. The most prevalent danger is the fire hazard from having an open fire inside the household. Furthermore, children doing their homework sit close to the flame to properly illuminate their school books which increases the risk of burn accidents and illnesses from inhaling the toxic fumes.
By using the Natural Light solar lamp families can create a better living environment at home by harnessing the sustainable energy of the sun to light up their houses at night. They can recharge the lamp for free in the sun and share its powerful illumination in the house after dark by hanging the lamp in the ceiling.
"The families in Meru Country live off an average of 1$ to 1.5$ a day which is about the cost of 1 liter of kerosene. This means, that when the family buys kerosene, it will most likely not eat that day. By using the Natural Light instead of kerosene lamps the families save what accumulates to 10.000 Kenyan Shillings a year. That’s enough to send a child to secondary school for a whole year”, explains Martin General Manager, Riziki, Kenya.